FAI Cup First Round weekend…25/07/2021


The remaining six FAI Cup first round contests took place on Sunday with non-league duo Killester Donnycarney and Usher Celtic facing each other at 11am with the hosts prevailing by one goal to nil.. The second all non-league clash saw Crumlin United go down to a two one home defeat by St Mochtas’.  Non-League Liffey Wanderers exited the competition with a two nil home defeat by First Division Cobh Ramblers while  First Division newcomers Treaty United took Cup Holders Dundalk to extra-time before conceding the only goal in the Markets Field. Following their European exploits of Thursday evening, Bohemian travelled to non-league College Corinthians and earned  a comfortable five nil victory while the remaining fixture featured Sligo Rovers and Cork City in the Showgrounds where the visiting First Division strugglers emerged as deserved  three two victors.


There were a further three contests completed in the first round of the FAI Cup today. Derry City progressed to round two with a 4-2 penalty shoot-out success over their hosts Drogheda United after the sides played out a one all draw after extra-time. Finn Harps were taken to extra-time by non-league Fairview Rangers before  the visiting Donegal side scored three times for victory. Later today, Longford Town welcomed non-league Bangor GGFC to Bishopsgate where they secured a comfortable five nil victory.  

The opening fixtures in the first round of the 2021 FAI Cup took place on Friday evening with favourites Shamrock Rovers and St Patrick’s Athletic progressing to round two with home victories over First Division sides Galway United (2-0) and Bray Wanderers (6-0). Athlone Town and Waterford played out an eight goal thriller with the visiting ‘Blues’ progressing with a 4-2 penalty shoot-out success. UCD defeated First Division leaders Shelbourne by two goals to nil at The Bowl while Wexford defeated visitors Cabinteely by three goals to nil. Non-League sides Kilnamanagh and Maynooth University Town defeated fellow non-league sides St Kevin’s Boys (4-1) and Malahide United (4-0) respectively.