Weekend action overseas…23/05/2022

Sunderland have won promotion to the Championship following their two nil victory over Wycombe Wanderers in this afternoon’s League One play-off final at Wembley Stadium. The ‘Makems’ included Denis Cirkin in their starting eleven while Aiden McGeady was an unused substitute while Daryl Horgan started for the ‘Chairboys’ but was withdrawn on 55 minutes. 

The Premier League concluded on Sunday afternoon with Manchester City retaining the title with a champion like recovery from a two goal deficit to defeat visitors Aston Villa by three goals to two. Liverpool trail them by one point following their three one victory over visitors Wolverhampton Wanderers where Caoimhin Kelleher was unused on the host bench. With Norwich City and Watford already doomed to relegation the identity of the third casualty rested between Burnley and Leeds United who began the day level on points with Burnley having a significant goal difference advantage. It was not to be for the ‘Clarets’ however as they suffered  a two one defeat by visitors Newcastle United while Leeds United won at Brentford by two goals to one. Nathan Collins and Kevin Long were in the Burnley side with Dara Costelloe unused on their bench. Midweek survivors Everton suffered  a five one defeat at Arsenal with Seamus Coleman unused on the bench. Shane Duffy and Evan Ferguson were unused on the Brighton & Hove Albion bench for their three one victory over visitors West Ham United who named Darren Randolph and Armstrong Oko-Flex on their bench. Shane Long and Will Smallbone were late substitutes for Southampton who went down to a four one defeat at Leicester City.

Following their disappointing defeat last weekend, Josh Cullen and RSC Anderlecht travelled to face Club Bruges in the Belgian First Division where they scored a late equaliser to secure a point from a one all draw.

Former Airtricity League duo, Dan Cleary and John Mahon were in the St Johnstone side which retained their  Scottish Premiership status with a four nil victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the second leg of the promotion/relegation play-off on Monday evening. The sides had played out a two all draw in the first leg last Friday and this evening’s contest was scoreless at half-time before the hosts took command in the second half.