Midweek action overseas this week…19/05/2022

Liverpool included Caoimhin Kelleher on their substitute bench for their two one victory over Southampton at St Mary’s Stadium in the Premier League on Tuesday evening. Shane Long was an unused  substitute for the hosts.

The second leg of the Championship play-off semi-final between Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United took place in the City Ground on Tuesday evening with the hosts who held a two one advantage from the first leg at Bramall Lane increasing their advantage with an early goal. The ‘Blades’, with John Egan in central defence, fought back scoring twice to take the match to extra-time and subsequently penalties, Conor Hourihane was introduced in the second half of extra-time but disappointingly had his spot kick saved in the penalty shoot-out as his side as his side suffered defeat.

Everton removed their Premier League relegation fears with a stirring recovery from a two goal half-time deficit against Crystal Palace with three second half goals to secure the three points in Goodison Park on Thursday evening. Seamus Coleman was again deployed in a back three for the victors.  Burnley included Nathan Collins and Kevin Long in their starting eleven with Dara Costelloe on their substitute bench for their battling one all draw at Aston Villa which lifted them out of the third relegation position on goal difference from Leeds United.

Loanee Jake O’Brien was a 105th minute substitute while fellow loanee Louie Barry, who represented Ireland at U15 and U16 level, started for Swindon Town who exited the play-offs following a 6-5 penalty shoot-out defeat after they went down to the only  goal after extra-time at Port Vale in the second leg of the League Two semi-final play-off which resulted in a two all aggregate scoreline. Harry Charsley was a 60th minute substitute for the hosts.

Former Airtricity League duo, Dan Cleary who started and unused substitute John Mahon were in the St Johnstone side which travelled to face Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the first leg of the   Scottish Premiership promotion/relegation play-off on Friday evening. The visiting ‘Saints’ took a two goal first half lead but the hosts replied in the second period with two of their own to secure a draw. The second leg is set for McDiarmid Park at 7.45pm on Monday evening.